First impressions - RText feature set

General discussion on RText.

Moderator: robert

Re: First impressions - RText feature set

Postby robert » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:23 am

VCase,

Thanks for the feedback! I'll address each of your issues individually:

1. This can certainly be added. What should happen if the file you're currently typing in changes on disk underneath you? Should the contents of the current buffer suddenly change? I understand wanting this behavior, but for the currently active file it seems like it would be distracting...

2. Good idea, thanks for the suggestion. I'll make it so the cursor tries to keep its row/column position on reloading.

3. I agree that that would be distracting. This behavior can be added as well.

4. As for the close icon, this is easy to do in Java 6, but since RText supports 1.4+, it was never added. I could look into adding optional close icons (using reflection to do so if Java 6 is detected). I'd also like to point out that you can close a tab by middle-clicking on it (or right click -> "Close XXX", though that's one extra click than a middle-click). Perhaps that is sufficient (for the time being at least :))?
robert

Postby ander » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:51 am

This editor looked great. It had all the features I wanted. But when I installed it (in Win 7 64-bit), I found that it used the old-style strange-looking Linux-type font rendering. Too bad. Is it really that hard to do normal rendering now?

Wonderingly, ander
ander

Postby robert » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi Ander,

Could you be more specific? Is the default font the wrong one? Or is it not anti-aliased properly? Something else?

If it's the anti-aliasing, you can correct this by going to Edit -> Options -> Syntax Highlighting, and selecting "Enable smooth text display". The "Default" setting is probably what you want, but all other settings Java makes available are there if you want to tinker with them. Let me know if this was the problem and it wasn't selected by default, as it should be (on Windows at least, where it's guaranteed to be fast).

If it's the default, could you let me know what you expect the default font to be on Windows 7?

For something else entirely, a screenshot would also be helpful.

Thanks!
robert

Previous

Return to Open Discussion