CTags

Questions on using RText should go here.

Moderator: robert

CTags

Postby RTextFan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:07 am

I've installed die ctags.exe file in a directory and pointed RText to it, but i cannot see any changes to it. Am i doind something wrong?
RTextFan

Re: CTags

Postby RTextFan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:05 pm

Ok i got it. Was just testing with java ^^ when i opened some batch file it works, but it is lagging hard. When i typ some teyt it becomes with a delay of ca. 400-500ms visible. Is this normal?
RTextFan

Postby robert » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:12 am

No, it should not lag. RText doesn't run ctags for Java files because it uses its own parser to create the tree view of the source, with more information than ctags provides. I assume you're seeing that for Java? As for batch files and a delay, do you see it with other languages (try opening a .c or .sh file)? See if there is a file named "uncaughtRTextExceptions.log" in your home directory or in $HOME/.rtext.
robert

Postby RTextFan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:00 pm

You,re right it lags when i'm editing batch files with a delay of 386ms(used the source code for testing this).
And i couldn't find any log file in C:\Documents and Settings\admin\.rtext
RTextFan

Postby robert » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:46 pm

I can't reproduce this locally. Try stepping through the code in a debugger.
robert

Postby RTextFan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:10 pm

Basically it lags with all languages that use ctags and not only with batch files. I'm not sure but i think the delay exists because the you have to write the information first in a file and then ctags scans them
RTextFan

Postby robert » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:59 am

Aye, if you're using a "standard" ctags executable, we read the "tags" file it creates, as most default ctags implementations don't allow streaming their output to stdout as far as I know. Still, it should not take half of a second to run ctags & read its output file. And if you're using Exuberant CTags (and specify so in the RText Options dialog, under "Source Browser"), we'll read its output right from stdout.

So assuming you're using some non-Exuberant ctags implementation - if you run it on the command line by itself, outside of RText, does it take that long to execute?
robert

Postby RTextFan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:32 am

I'm using Exuberant Ctags. If i use it on the command line it is much faster than in RText... I cannot imagine why this delay exists...
RTextFan

Postby robert » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:01 pm

Hmm, I'm not sure then. Since I can't reproduce it locally your best bet is to try going at it yourself in a debugger. And if you do find a problem, patches are welcome!
robert

Return to Help