Possible fix for RTextArea-Actions

Questions on using RSyntaxTextArea should go here.

Moderator: robert

Possible fix for RTextArea-Actions

Postby groggy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:17 pm

I'm not aure if you already fixrd it but as i remember you cannot get access to the actions until you create an instancr of RTextArea.
Have you ever thought about a static initializer block so you create then at startup?
groggy

Re: Possible fix for RTextArea-Actions

Postby robert » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:34 pm

No, this has not yet been done as it's low priority, but it is on the to-do list. They're not done in a static initializer as I'm trying to be a "good citizen" and not create the actions if an application hasn't yet instantiated an RTextArea/RSyntaxTextArea. Why do you want to access these shared actions before creating an RSyntaxTextArea?
robert

Postby groggy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:00 pm

Usually i first create a menubar and then all the other stuff like the actual main view with the RTextArea.
I was just thinling about it coz i've read that you wanted to fix that.

RTEXT EDIT:

i'm not sure but did you add your hex edizor to RText? Would be a cool idea :)
i've also tried to add the SeaGlassLookAndFeel but z startup RText throws an exveption. Could you please try to figire that out? I think it is some code that replaces a UI or sometjibg like tuis...
groggy

Postby robert » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:24 am

A hex editor built into RText probably won't happen. As for SeaGlass, the last time I tried it, it still had issues, and it looks like it hasn't been updated in over a year. It's unfortunate that nice looking LookAndFeels like that one and WebLookAndFeel still have issues, and are either dead or updated at such a snail's pace that it isn't feasible to rely upon in a real application.

I've submitted a couple of patches to WebLookAndFeel, and it has real potential, but the author seems to only update SVN once every month or so, and hasn't made some really critical updates that applications like RText, which can swap LaFs at runtime, would require to use it. My patches were "accepted" about 3 months ago, but they still don't seem to be in the SVN trunk even today. So I'm tempted to simply fork the project and make the necessary changes myself, but frankly it's a huge code base, and I already don't have time for my own projects as it is. :(
robert

Postby groggy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:51 am

I have here some solved problems with the preferences i could upload it on friday if you wabt on sourceforge. Is it ok?
groggy

Postby robert » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:07 am

Either put patches on SourceForge or email them/PM them to me in patch file format.
robert

Return to Help