Future Supported Languages

General Discussion on RSyntaxTextArea.

Moderator: robert

What language(s) would you most like to see added to RSyntaxTextArea?

You may select up to 3 options

View results

Future Supported Languages

Postby robert » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:44 am

If you want to add highlighting for a language to RSyntaxTextArea that's not built-in, you can either download and use TokenMakerMaker from Subversion, or write your own JFlex-based parser, probably using a similar, already implemented language as a baseline, and follow these instructions to use it at runtime.

But if you feel that there's a language out there that would really benefit from being added to the core, place your vote here! If some language gets a lot of votes (bonus points if there's an actual "IDE"-ish project that would actually use it), then it might get added.

Of course, if you implement a TokenMaker for a new language and would like to contribute it to the core, feel free to get in touch with me (email me, PM, or post here). I'm happy to add support for languages that are fairly well-known/used, but am reluctant to add niche languages with very little usage, to keep the size of the library relatively in check (I'm old-school). Remember that you can always add support for a language to your own project using RSTA at runtime (see above). Any contributions would need to be license-compatible with the project (i.e. modified BSD).

EDIT: LaTeX and DTD used to be options, but they've been added as of 2.0.3, so I've removed them from the poll. Unfortunately this cleared the vote count for all other choices, so feel free to vote again! LaTeX was by far the most popular choice so far, and it now has both syntax highlighting and code folding support. DTD highlighting didn't have as many votes, but I wanted it anyway. :D
robert

Re: Future Supported Languages

Postby fortuna » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:29 am

Not really a language per se, but support for vCard and iCalendar formats might be useful,eg:

BEGIN:VCARD
END:VCARD

I don't actually need it myself but just a thought.
fortuna

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi,

I vote for other "PL/SQL" :)

Postby lukas.eder@gmail.com » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:00 am

I second the vote for PL/SQL and I'd like to add T-SQL on top of that! :-)
lukas.eder@gmail.com

Postby omadawn » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:35 am

I vote for iRules. Which is really close to TCL.

^_^

In fact I'll just give you my code when I get the details of my custom tokenMaker worked out.
omadawn

Postby Chad » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:37 pm

Not sure if this poll is still active, but I would LOVE first class support for Beanshell, as opposed to simply using Java and getting halfway there. That is, I would love first class support for Beanshell AutoComplete and RSTALanguageSupport.
Chad

Postby ebocher » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:25 am

Dear,

First of all, thanks a lot for this excellent job. We use your libs in the OrbisGIS.org project to support autocompletion in a SQL console. Some videos here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggfoQ3IsIWY&feature=plcp.

We are interesting about a beanshell language support. Currently we use the java Language but a feature is required by our users.

Object toto = new Object();

toto. (display method).

Is this feature planed for JAVA language and is beanshell in the road map. It will be very cool because beanshell has been reactivated by the community (http://code.google.com/p/beanshell2/)

Best regards.

Erwan
ebocher

Postby Oliver » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:53 pm

Hi,

I would be interested in a Groovy language support.

Regards,
Oliver
Oliver

Postby abgorn » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:47 am

D language support would be loverly.
abgorn

Postby dejan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:20 am

I would also like to see support for the D programming language.
dejan

Return to Open Discussion