tabbed lines

General Discussion on RSyntaxTextArea.

Moderator: robert

Re: tabbed lines

Postby robert » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:41 pm

I've updated RSTA to somewhat improve the tab line painting. Please grab the latest and try things again.

It might be cool if the TokenMaker has methods like isWhitespace(int type) and isSeparator(int type) to allow a little more flexibility.

Might be a good idea. For now, the latest update no longer requires Token.WHITESPACE to paint tab lines; it'll do so with any token type, so you now get them within multi-line comments, Token.IDENTIFIER (if you were to match all "plain text" and whitespace together for performance, for example), or whatever else you throw at it. If the token type isn't Token.WHITESPACE, it'll paint tab lines in the right places for all leading whitespace in the first token of a line, if any. If it IS Token.WHITESPACE though, it'll assume the token really is all spaces and tabs, and skip the scan for leading whitespace for performance reasons (all the built-in scanners use Token.WHITESPACE the "expected" way).

This does mean that, if you use your own token types and not RSTA's, if you have a type with the same value as Token.WHITESPACE, you might get tab lines painted where you wouldn't expect them to be (inside text, etc.). But this is somewhat unlikely, and the workaround would be to simply change that particular token type to a different value, so it would be an easy fix.

I can reproduce your rendering issue in your app, but not in mine with the latest changes (and using the same font as you). Can you update and see if that fixes things (not sure why it would as the actual rendering code hasn't changed, but just to make sure)? If it's still happening, I'll really buckle down and figure it out.

There also might be third round of updates, redoing how these lines are painted, since the current implementation doesn't paint them at all on lines with no tokens on them, which is different, and (albeit slightly) annoying compared to what Scite does.
robert

Postby Remco » Tue May 10, 2011 4:53 pm

First of all, because i'm new to the forum, let me say thank you for this great component, It's one of my favourites!

I've been playing around with this new feature and I really like it. A possible improvement I would like to suggest has to do with the auto indentation. When pressing enter multiple times the indentation on the previous (blank) line is removed and this causes gaps in the tab lines. Just for testing I removed the following:
Code: Select all
if (leadingWS.length()==len &&
      sta.isClearWhitespaceLinesEnabled()) {
   // If the line was nothing but whitespace, select it
   // so its contents get removed.
   sta.setSelectionStart(start);
   sta.setSelectionEnd(end);
}

from the method 'insertNewlineWithAutoIndent' in 'RSyntaxTextAreaEditorKit'.
Personally I prefer this behaviour because I frequently leave blank lines between code blocks.

Just a little idea I thought I'd share.

Best regards,
Remco
Remco

Postby robert » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:08 am

Hi Remco,

This is a good point. You don't actually have to modify the code to get this behavior though - just call:

Code: Select all
textArea.setClearWhitespaceLinesEnabled(false);

and all-whitespace lines will be kept around.
robert

Previous

Return to Open Discussion