RText on Red Hat RHEL Linux

General discussion on RText.

Moderator: robert

RText on Red Hat RHEL Linux

Postby birchb1024 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:25 am

Hi,

I'm running rtext on RHEL. Here's some 'learnings' which might help people:

Background: RHEL 3.0.38-0.5-xen x86_64, java version "1.7.0_21", X Windows from MobiXterm.
Issues:
  • There is a bug in Oracle Java under X which means rtext looses keybard focus (cursor disappears - no ketystrokes work). See http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6798064
    So I use IBM Java and the problem goes away. IBM J9 VM (build 2.4, JRE 1.6.0 IBM J9 2.4 Linux amd64-64
  • When RTExt starts there are errors about Look and Feel:
    Code: Select all
    lookandfeels.xml: LookandFeel Substance Business Black Steel is missing required 'jars' or 'dir' attribute
    . etc... The cure seems to be to edit lnfs/lookandfeels.xml and change dirs= to jars="lnfs/substance/substance-7.2.1.jar" until it works.

I dont see these errors on Sun Java on Windows.

Cheers,
Bill
birchb1024

Re: RText on Red Hat RHEL Linux

Postby robert » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:49 pm

Thanks for the feedback Bill. That's unfortunate about Swing focus issues with Oracle Java on RHEL with certain window managers. Hopefully, if it's truly a bug with the window manager itself, it will eventually get fixed, though I see it was initially reported a couple of years ago.

I'll try to fix the errors about lookandfeels.xml on startup, thanks for reporting it!
robert

Re: RText on Red Hat RHEL Linux

Postby robert » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:21 pm

I looked at lookandfeels.xml, and perhaps you were using a hand-modified version that introduced this error? In 2.0.7, the XML looks correct:

xml code:

<LookAndFeel name="Substance Business Black Steel"
class="org.pushingpixels.substance.api.skin.SubstanceBusinessBlackSteelLookAndFeel"
dir="lnfs/substance/"
minJavaVersion="1.6"/>

I tried looking through the file's history, to see if you were using an older version of RText, but could not find any version that looked like it would produce that error.

In any case, as long as it looks like it will work properly in upcoming releases, I guess that's all that matters. :)
robert

Return to Open Discussion