What happend to the macro recorder??

General discussion on RText.

Moderator: robert

What happend to the macro recorder??

Postby mlb » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:33 pm

I downloaded RText version 2.5.2, and when trying to learn how to use macros, the help doesn't match the program. The feature set on the web site list macro recording, but the product doesn't seem to support it. The help even says there are menu entries on the macro menu for starting to record and stopping recording. However, those menu entries don't exist. The keyboard shortcuts don't work either. Did you remove this feature?
mlb

Re: What happend to the macro recorder??

Postby robert » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:03 am

Good find. :oops: That documentation is very outdated. In older versions of RText, it was possible to record keystrokes and other actions in the editor, assign a set of actions a keyboard shortcut, and play them back. A while ago I removed that feature in favor of the programmatic macros we have today (from the "Macros" menu, create a set of actions in either Groovy or JavaScript). While the macro recording was cool, it was somewhat error prone (e.g. changing the caret position with the mouse recorded a move in absolute position in the document, for example, which didn't always translate well across documents of different sizes).

Macros as they existed previously are actually a part of the RSyntaxTextArea editor component (see here for example), so the actual meat of that code actually still exists, it just isn't exposed in RText. If we were to put it back, I'm not sure how best to expose it to explain its feature set, and make it distinct from the programmatic macros we have today. If you have any ideas, feel free to discuss them here or drop me an email!
robert

Return to Open Discussion