Problem with the 2.0.5.1 Mac OSX binary on SF ?

Questions on using RText should go here.

Moderator: robert

Problem with the 2.0.5.1 Mac OSX binary on SF ?

Postby DrewG » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi,

I've downloaded the 2.0.5.1 binary (rtext_2.0.5.1_osx_bin.dmg) from sourceforge a couple of times now, and this consistently happens...

when opening the disk image, I get this...

Nevertheless, if I drag the app out of the image and onto my desktop and try to run it, I get this...

Seems to be broken to me. I'm running up-to-date OSX 10.8.2 on a mid-2011 Mac Mini with 8GB RAM.

Cheers :) Drew
DrewG

Re: Problem with the 2.0.5.1 Mac OSX binary on SF ?

Postby robert » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:33 pm

Hmm, strange that it worked for me. I can double-check things, but it's mostly identical to the older OS X builds I used to make. There are two places we can look:

1. At the most basic level, can you fsck the .dmg file and get any errors? If not, when you copy the .app out of the .dmg file, can you navigate into it as you can any other folder (e.g. "cd ~/Desktop/RText.app")?
2. Can you check the Console app (and or "syslog -c" perhaps from a terminal)? Maybe one of these places will record the exact error (bad info in plist or whatever).

Another thing to try: does the ancient 1.4.0 Mac release (this was the last release with an OS X binary before 2.0.5) or the 2.0.5 release?

I'll grab the binary off of SourceForge and do the same tests.
robert

Postby DrewG » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:40 am

Hi Robert,

after posting, I had the same issue with another package that I downloaded and so I did some more homework and discovered that it is Gatekeeper that is causing the issue.

Apple have posted on Gatekeeper here - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5290.

I had the (presumably default) option of "Mac App Store and identified developers" set.

To say the least, I think it's a bit naughty of Apple to say that a disk image is corrupt when it's just disallowing access due to security settings. Anyway, When I selected the "Anywhere" option, it opened and installed just fine.

Hopefully you haven't spent too much time on this - thanks for your help :)

Regards, Drew
DrewG

Postby robert » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:35 pm

Ahh yes, I think I personally received the "cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer" message, and needing to do a ctrl+click -> Open. Quite an aggressive move on Apple's part, bad for indie developers. I guess the world is moving to the "app store" model...

Anyway, glad you're up and running!
robert

Return to Help