Newcomer with a few questions

Questions on using RText should go here.

Moderator: robert

Newcomer with a few questions

Postby 357mag » Wed May 19, 2010 9:31 pm

Yeah I'm new and just a hobbyist programmer and it looks like I'll go with RText for entering in my Java code. But I do have a few questions:

1. What is the Tasks pane for that is beneath the code editor?

2. In Options - Printing it says the font is Monospaced 8 but when I printed my code it looked bigger than 8 point type. And why is the Headers and Footers box greyed out?

3. Any plans to allow the user to print his code in color?
357mag

Re: Newcomer with a few questions

Postby robert » Thu May 20, 2010 3:42 am

Hi 357,

Thanks for your interest in RText!

1. What is the Tasks pane for that is beneath the code editor?

The "Tasks" pane lists any comment lines that contain marker words such as "TODO" or "FIXME" in any open source files (those are two of the most commonly-used identifiers). It's fairly common for programmers to make comment lines like so:

Code: Select all
// TODO: Make this code better handle invalid inputs

to mark places they want to go back and work on later. The Tasks pane simply lists them all in one place so you can double-click on them there and jump right to them. You can edit what specific identifiers are scanned for by going to "Edit" -> "Options" -> Tasks". You can also toggle the visibility of that window if you don't want it by clicking Tools -> Docked Windows -> Tasks.

2. In Options - Printing it says the font is Monospaced 8 but when I printed my code it looked bigger than 8 point type. And why is the Headers and Footers box greyed out?

I must admit, printing through RText is not something I've done in ages. It could have a bug and be using a different sized font. Can you verify that if you increase or decrease the printing font specified in the Options dialog, that the font used actually changes sizes? Over time, this may have gotten accidentally tied to the main font used in the editor, but that's just a guess.

As to why Headers and Footers are greyed out - it's simply because I never got around to implementing them. :)

3. Any plans to allow the user to print his code in color?

I've definitely thought about it, but this isn't really a high priority. Writing code to print text in Java is a *pain*. In Java 6, they added convenience methods that should, in theory, make it much easier, but unfortunately RText supports Java 1.4 and 5 also, so I can't call that new API. I could try adding code that only called the Java 6 API if running under Java 6, this may improve the performance of the printing code.
robert

Return to Help