Font Size and Method Outline

Questions on using RText should go here.

Moderator: robert

Font Size and Method Outline

Postby Ken » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:37 am

Hello! I am amazed by the simplicity of RText and we were using it for our prototype in a University project. I tried to increase the font size:

Code: Select all
IncreaseFontSizeAction i = new IncreaseFontSizeAction();
i.actionPerformedImpl(null, textArea);
i.actionPerformedImpl(null, textArea);

And it did well, but, the keywords won't follow... those keywords like "public", "static" etc.. remained the same, but the rest were changed.

In the post http://fifesoft.com/blog/?p=152, I am curious if I can get the code for the sidebar at the left, in outlining the methods of the current class.

Thanks!
Ken

Re: Font Size and Method Outline

Postby robert » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:37 pm

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the kind words!

Hmm, IncreaseFontSizeAction seems to work in RText. I'll try to dig a little deeper to reproduce the issue, but could you send me a simple example program that shows the problem? That would expedite things.

As for the "Class Outline View"-style component, I'm not really sure I'm ready to start releasing it yet, or any of the Java completion stuff. It's intertwined with the Java code completion stuff, and the code is very messy. I'm thinking that the long-term goal is to release a "language support" package that includes "advanced" features such as code completion, error highlighting, etc. for various languages, pre-packaged, with a simple mechanism for adding them to RSTA. All of this stuff for Java would come as part of that package, along with the work I've done for C and HTML. Unfortunately I don't yet know when that will be; my job's been keeping me pretty busy lately, and (as usual) I'm stretched a little thin with my extra-curricular projects.
robert

Postby Ken » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:26 pm

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply. The IncreaseFontSizeAction works well, except for the keywords like "public", "static", "import" etc... A basic java code template containing public static void main(String[]) will show exactly my issue. Everything increases the font size, except those in color blue tokens which are the keywords.

Btw, I am using the sourceforge release, i'm not sure if it's fixed in the latest in SVN.

Thank you sir.
Ken

Postby robert » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:05 pm

Hmm, I'm trying to reproduce using RText's built-in font resizing (Ctrl+F6 and Ctrl+F7 map to RSyntaxTextAreaEditorKit.DecreaseFontSizeAction and IncreaseFontSizeAction, respectively), and it seems to resize all tokens, even keywords (although doing this did help me to spot a real bug - those actions only affect the currently focused text area, not any others. The actions in RText's menu bar should affect all text areas. I'll need to fix this!).

Are you modifying RText's source and doing something with IncreaseFontSizeAction yourself? Are the current actions (found at View -> Font Sizes -> ...) not sufficient? Just curious if what you're working is a useful feature and could be added into the next release.

Check out where these actions are added to the menu bar in src/org/fife/rtext/RTextMenuBar.java. Off hand, I don't see why how you're using the action wouldn't work, but then again I don't know exactly where you're adding this code into RText. Again, a sample program would be best to help find this issue. Perhaps you've found another bug, that only shows itself under certain conditions!
robert

Postby kenston » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:38 am

Hi sir, sorry for my late updates...
Here is the sample scenario: http://ide4edu.co.cc/ which has a slider at the status bar. I imported the entire library, although the prototype for our project is final, so I'm posting it for the benefit of future users. I'm not sure if it's fixed in the next release, I downloaded the jar library last month. Thank you sir.
kenston

Postby robert » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:29 am

No problem kenston. Nice looking app by the way, simple and polished.

I'll dig deeper, but I hope you can wait until the new year for a response, as I'll be out of town for the next few days...
robert

Postby kenston » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:50 pm

Hi robert! Thanks for the comments on our prototype. I can wait for the response even for a month, because the project has already been submitted, though I'm also curious to know how the issue can be resolved. By the way, we acknowledged Fifesoft in our documentation as well as in the help dialog box! Thanks for the great work and support.
kenston

Postby kenston » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:16 am

Hi Robert,

Sorry for the late update, this problem is solved now in the latest release. Thanks!
kenston

Return to Help