Autocomplete using xsd schema

General Discussion on RSyntaxTextArea.

Moderator: robert

Autocomplete using xsd schema

Postby bharath.mallya » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:37 pm

Hi all,

Is it possible to use rsytaxtextarea+auto complete with a xsd schema? I would like to create a xml editor (embedded in an applet) which can generate a xml file that is compliant against a defined schema.

Thanks.
bharath.mallya

Re: Autocomplete using xsd schema

Postby robert » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:08 am

This is not currently possible, but I'd love to have it implemented in RSTALanguageSupport's XML support one day.

Contributions are welcome! If you can parse a schema into some sort of usable model, and would like to contribute to RSTA, I'd be happy to include it in the project. With an in-memory representation of a schema, all we'd need then is a method to return all the nested tags we're in (which would be pretty straightforward; I could add that and any other infrastructure), and this functionality could be added.

DTD's would be even easier to add, since they require unique element names. I just might work on that this weekend, just for fun. :) Schemas are probably more relevant these days, but this would put the framework in place, and I personally still work on a lot of XML at work that is backed by a DTD.
robert

Return to Open Discussion