Setting up own resource manager for ErrorStrip and ..

General Discussion on RSyntaxTextArea.

Moderator: robert

Setting up own resource manager for ErrorStrip and ..

Postby Christian » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:06 am

Hello.

We recently updated to release 1.5.1 of RSTA and Autocomplete and there is still one issue that we would like to mention:

There are two files named ErrorStrip.properties and FocusableTip.properties and there are only little possibilities to customize the messages of them. I would like to have the possibility to define an own resource manager for the messages of ErrorStrip and FocusableTip because:

- in most cases I think RSTA is used embedded in an existing system and it is inconvinient for customers to have a resource for each jar you have embedded in your project
- sometimes you even want to detach the language of resources from the current Locale
- sometimes in embedded systems you don't even want to load resources from the file system, so you have other ways to fetch your messages
- in client/server systems you have to find your own ways to ensure that the client is able to define own messages for some gui objects and therefore a file in the server package is not a good idea

So it would be nice to be able to define own "message fetchers" instead of having a hard coded ResourceBundle defined in ErrorStrip and FocusableTip.
Is there a chance that we see this in one of the next releases? ;)

Thank you!
Christian
Christian

Re: Setting up own resource manager for ErrorStrip and ..

Postby robert » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:12 am

This isn't really a priority, but patches are always welcome. :D I'd prefer any patches for features like this to be pretty simple if possible (don't want the code to get too complex for an uncommonly-used feature).

Out of curiosity, which messages are you changing, and what's an example of what you're changing them to? I guess the context menu's text is so standard, you have no need to change it (or perhaps repopulate the context menu with your own menu items)?
robert

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:49 am

Ok I understand :)

Since we have a lot of customers whos native language isn't English (mine isn't English either) the first change is to translate the messages.

The messages are:
  • Line=Line: {0}
  • MultipleMarkers=Multiple markers at this line:
  • OccurrenceOf=Occurrence of "{0}"
  • FocusHotkey=Press 'F2' for focus

I think the patch wouldn't be that great and if you'd prefer I think I can manage to give you one ;) The context menu isn't an issue for us, because we replace it with our own one.

Postby Christian » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:25 am

Did you receive the patch? Is it okay or is anything wrong with it?
Christian

Postby robert » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:21 am

Sorry; yes, I got it but somehow this slipped through the cracks. I'll try to take a look at it.
robert

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:15 am

Okay. Don't worry ;)
Thanks for the quick reply.

Return to Open Discussion