ParameterizedCompletionDescriptionToolTip too small

General Discussion on RSyntaxTextArea.

Moderator: robert

ParameterizedCompletionDescriptionToolTip too small

Postby cursor_mkr » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:08 am

Hi Guys,

I just integrated RSyntaxTextArea into our project. I tried a lot of features and most of them work very well. Now I came to the part to use the ParameterAssistance on AutoCompletion and I have a problem with the ParameterizedCompletionDescriptionToolTip. This tooltip only displays as a single line. Now, if my parameter descriptions is too long, so that it does not fit in the ToolTip window, parts of the description are not visible. Is there any chance to see the complete description? Is it possible to implement auto sizing of this ToolTip window?

I hope someone could help me out.

cursor_mkr
cursor_mkr

Re: ParameterizedCompletionDescriptionToolTip too small

Postby robert » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:16 am

This currently isn't supported. Out of curiosity, just how large do your descriptions get? Naturally, the completion description window allows for an arbitrarily-long HTML description, which can include info on not just the completion, but any parameters it takes, but the parameter description tool tip is currently designed to have either no description, or a one-liner.

If you'd like to see this feature, please add a Feature Request on RSyntaxTextArea's SourceForge page. Or, you can dig into ParameterizedComlpletionDescriptionToolTip.java yourself; I'll gladly take patches! :)

One concern I'd have is that if the descriptions aren't forced to be short, the positioning of the tip becomes problematic. For example, if one parameter has a 10-line description, but another has a 2-line description, that difference in "height" of the tool tip might cause it to be displayed below the caret for the first parameter, but above the caret for the second one (for example, if the editor was near the top of your monitor). The (possible) large variation in tip window size between parameters might be visually jarring to users. Although it may not be as bad as I think.
robert

Postby cursor_mkr » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:03 am

Hi Robert,

I have created a little bugfix for this sizing problem. I already wrote you an E-Mail with your contact form on webpage. But I didn't get an answer. That's why I am asking you if you are interested in this bugfix. If so, please tell me how to send the code to you. It would be nice if you could take this patch into your sources, because it makes ParameterAssistance usable in our case. Perhaps someone else has similar sizing issues.
cursor_mkr

Postby cursor_mkr » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:06 am

Hi Robert,

I have created a little bugfix for this sizing problem. I already wrote you an E-Mail with your contact form on webpage. But I didn't get an answer. That's why I am asking you if you are interested in this bugfix. If so, please tell me how to send the code to you. It would be nice if you could take this patch into your sources, because it makes ParameterAssistance usable in our case. Perhaps someone else has similar sizing issues.
cursor_mkr

Postby cursor_mkr » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:10 pm

Hi Robert,

I created a Bugfix for this sizing issue. As you can see here the description tooltip is now sized correctly:

Without Bugfix:
With Bugfix:

If you are interested in this fix, please let me now how you would like to get the code. It would be very nice if this fix could go into your project, because it makes the ParameterAssistance usable for our case.

Sincerely,
Manuel Krug
cursor_mkr

Postby robert » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:34 pm

Sorry for the late reply. Just so you know, I am looking at this currently.

I know I've seen this behavior once before, but I can't remember when exactly. What OS/JVM are you using (including maintenance release)? I can't reproduce this with 1.5.0_16, 1.6.0_16, or 1.7.0_b124 on Vista. Does it depend on the content of the tool tip, or does it happen for you in all parameter tips with descriptions for the parameters?

EDIT: Ahh yes, this was a bug I witnessed in earlier Java 7 builds, I think it's fixed now (at least, seems to work for me in b124). See this forum thread, and associated Java bug, where' it's claimed to be fixed in 7_120:

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=9125583#9125583
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6987844

Let me know if you're seeing this in a Java 7 release more recent than 120, or some earlier release.
robert

Return to Open Discussion