RSyntaxTextArea for Web/blog

General Discussion on RSyntaxTextArea.

Moderator: robert

RSyntaxTextArea for Web/blog

Postby davidc » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:29 pm

Hello, I’ve been using edit area http://sourceforge.net/projects/editarea/ , in my web pages to provide code editor functionality. But, I really like the code completion and other functionalists of RSyntaxTextArea. Is there a way to incorporate RSyntaxTextArea into html page, similar to editarea? If yes could please provide sample/instructions.
Thanks
davidc

Re: RSyntaxTextArea for Web/blog

Postby robert » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:37 pm

Hi David,

Yes, you certainly can integrate RSTA into a web page. To do so, you'll simply embed it into an applet. An example of an applet using RSTA can be found here.

Here's the source for that applet (well, the applet on the page above hasn't been updated in awhile, so this source is more recent).

Check out RSyntaxTextAreaDemoApplet.java (the actual applet) and DemoRootPane.java (creates the contents of the applet, including the RSyntaxTextArea instance).

To communicate between the applet and the hosting page, you need to use LiveConnect. This is an old but useful API that I've been meaning to play with, but haven't been able to think of an application for it that motivates me enough to work on it. :lol:
robert

Re: RSyntaxTextArea for Web/blog

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:42 pm

Perfect. Thanks for quick detailed reply!

Return to Open Discussion