Copy/Paste not working from Oracle OC4J

General Discussion on RSyntaxTextArea.

Moderator: robert

Copy/Paste not working from Oracle OC4J

Postby bellgl » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:48 am

Copy/Paste functionality works fine when running from eclipse on Windows.
But not upon deployment and firing from an Oracle Form.
Everything else ie syntax highlighting, code completion all good.

Any clues greatly appreciated.
bellgl

Re: Copy/Paste not working from Oracle OC4J

Postby robert » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:36 pm

Strange, I would have thought that code completion would be less likely to work since it plays hard and fast with windows, the focus subsystem, and keyboard shortcuts all at the same time!

Does copy/paste work when copy and pasting within the same text area, or does it only not work when you try to copy to/from an external application?

Can you drag-and-drop text to/from RSTA in an Oracle Form? Again, both within the same text area, and to/from an external app? I can't remember whether you need to call textArea.setDragEnabled(true) for this to work, or if RSTA does that for you automatically.

Unfortunately I'm unfamiliar with OC4j, and I'm also not a J2EE developer. If you can provide me with a short example app, and tell me how to set up the environment (assuming it's really simple!) I can try to debug.
robert

Postby bellgl » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:54 pm

Copy/Paste and drag/drop works fine within the same text area. The problem only occurs when pasting to and/or from an external application. Clipboard?

A plain JTextArea runs from the same form without a problem. ie Copy/Paste and drag/drop works fine with external app

Unfortunately, Oracle Forms/OC4j being a proprietary so and so, even a simple example is problematic. (As is running debug from Oracle)

Nice code, the above notwithstanding.
bellgl

Postby bellgl » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:12 am

Sorry to have troubled you.

Once I constructed a working ant jarsigning task, and rsyntaxtextarea.jar was signed properly, it was all good.
bellgl

Postby robert » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:36 pm

That's good to hear. I had seen this problem crop up in the past, but couldn't remember the details (or solution). I knew it had something to do with permissions. By default applets are restricted from most resources on the user's system, and I believe that includes the system clipboard. If RSTA cannot read the system clipboard, it creates its own "application clipboard" and uses that instead - that's why you could copy/paste within your applet, but not interact with the outside world.

I'm glad that singing your jar cleared things up. Feel free to post again if you run into any more issues!
robert

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:36 am

bellgl wrote:Sorry to have troubled you.

Once I constructed a working ant jarsigning task, and rsyntaxtextarea.jar was signed properly, it was all good.

It works fine as I was facing the copy paste problem too.
Keep up the good work.

Return to Open Discussion