Highlighting very slow and consumes extremely high memory

Questions on using RSyntaxTextArea should go here.

Moderator: robert

Highlighting very slow and consumes extremely high memory

Postby tomas.freesun » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:47 am

Hi ppl,

I have a problem with highlighting function. With larger files (2MB), the markAll takes very long to complete (up to 30 seconds tested) and consume extremely large portions of memory (up to 600MBs tested).

I have thought, maybe, like the syntax parsing, only the shown portion of document should highlight.

I understand this could cause issues with search, but in case of search when listing through found occurences, after you run out of highlights in current screen you search for next one.

I am working on a solution and will provide the sources when finished.
tomas.freesun

Re: Highlighting very slow and consumes extremely high memor

Postby robert » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:06 pm

Feel free to email me the file you are using that you are having trouble with. I have edited files > 2 MB many times with no issues. Also include what features you have enabled - word wrap, mark occurrences, etc. Word wrap in particular, for example, really degrades performance when you have very long lines. See this ticket on GitHub.

You can reach me at robert -at- thisdomain.
robert

Re: Highlighting very slow and consumes extremely high memor

Postby tomas.freesun » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:33 pm

I used Mark all occurences. I produced a fix. I can e-mail you the changes I've made once i get back to my working laptop.
And feel free to erase the other duplicit post. Didn't noticed moderation rules first. :)
tomas.freesun

Return to Help