how to: multi selection in code completion list

Questions on using RSyntaxTextArea should go here.

Moderator: robert

how to: multi selection in code completion list

Postby andreas » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:00 pm

Hi! Is there a way to use multi selection in the code completion list? Any example out there? ;-)

In Detail, I set setUseFocusableTips(true), so the user can select more than one row but only the first is inserted...

e.g. the code completion list shows:

Row 1
Row 2
Row 3
Row 4

the user select two rows... what have i to do that all selected is getting inserted into text area?

THanks!
Andreas
andreas

Re: how to: multi selection in code completion list

Postby robert » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:12 pm

The setUseFocusableTips(boolean) method causes actual tool tips to be focusable; it doesn't have an effect on the code completion popups. There's currently no way to select more than one choice in the completions list.

I've never seen code completion that lets you select more than one choice, in any editor. Can you give me an example of one that does? Or why this feature would be useful?
robert

Postby andreas » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:25 pm

Robert, I want to use this feature (multiselection) in a sql editor for selecting more than one column. The are a really great editor addon for MS SQL Server Management Studio from redgate that allows it.
Please see here: http://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SP6/Inserting+columns+with+the+column+picker

andreas

Postby robert » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:05 pm

I see now that it could be useful for languages like SQL, where you can select multiple specific columns. For most languages, I do not think multiple selection makes sense for code completion, which is why I didn't see the use case.

Please add a Feature Request on GitHub so this can be tracked, if you would like to see it in a future release.
robert

Return to Help