RTextArea needs ConfigurableCaret

Questions on using RSyntaxTextArea should go here.

Moderator: robert

Re: RTextArea needs ConfigurableCaret

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:59 am

Hi,

yes, of course I could test.

Stefan

Postby robert » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:56 am

You must be doing something to enter "composed text mode," which is one of those magical things still private/package-private in Swing. Perhaps your keyboard is a non-English one? I'm not sure under what scenarios this occurs.

In any case, I believe the only way around this, and still allow for proper input from all input devices, is to remove the hard requirement on ConfigurableCaret. Can you try downloading and using this jar:

http://fifesoft.com/temp/rsyntaxtextarea.jar

and see if that fixes the problem? The only strange thing that may happen is you see the caret change appearance slightly, from its two pixel-wide bar (by default at least) to the standard Swing 1-pixel caret, *if* and *when* you're going into "composed text mode" for whatever reason. Insert/overwrite modes and all other functionality should still work as expected though, I believe.

I haven't committed this change yet; please let me know whether it fixes the problem for you and I'll push it to the SVN repository.
robert

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:32 pm

Thanks!

Unfortunately we extend AbstractTokenMakerFactory and thus still use createTokenMakerKeyToClassNameMap - as a consequence I can not test your new jar file right now.

It will take me some time to do the testing, I will let you know about my findings as soon as possible.

Postby robert » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:20 pm

I've also created a patch file you can use to test with, if that's easier (it's actually just small edits to 2 files). Can you try this?

http://fifesoft.com/temp/rsta_ConfigurableCaret_issue.patch
robert

Postby stefan1 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:34 pm

Great!

The changes work as expected, no exception is thrown any more.

Thanks, Stefan
stefan1

Postby robert » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:41 pm

Awesome! I've already put it into the new 2.0.5 release. :)
robert

Previous

Return to Help