Column selection

Questions on using RSyntaxTextArea should go here.

Moderator: robert

Column selection

Postby sandeep » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:37 am

Is column selection possible in RSTA...
sandeep

Re: Column selection

Postby robert » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Sorry, not currently possible. The Swing text package makes it very difficult to add this feature, it's hard-wired to expect linear selections only. Add a Feature Request on the SourceForge page if you want to see this in the future.
robert

Postby sandeep » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:18 am

What i meant was block selection, like in textpad wherein we drag the mouse in combination with ALT-Key to select block of text in textarea. Can you provide me some hint.
sandeep

Postby robert » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:04 pm

Yes, block selection currently is not possible. Perhaps in a future release, but it will take a fair amount of work. Sorry!
robert

Postby PhiLho » Fri May 04, 2012 9:51 am

It is a bit disappointing, as I use this feature a lot in SciTE (based on Scintilla) and I saw it exists in JEdit (which uses its own method of drawing text, I think).
But I understand the technical difficulty.
I hope you will find a way to implement this someday... :-)
I appreciate RSTA to be lightweight yet powerful, and now with a nice license... :D Keep up the good work!
PhiLho

Postby PhiLho » Fri May 04, 2012 10:26 am

And a word to say I appreciate your forum is open to guests: I am tired to create an account in a site just to leave a quick remark... I just hope for you that you are not flooded with spam, as we are in the Processing forum, where registration is necessary!

Last note, for those searching the forum: this kind of selection is also called rectangular selection. The search had found no 'rectangular' word in the forum, so now we have more keywords! ;)
PhiLho

Return to Help