rtext fails to show text.

Post a reply

Smilies
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON
Topic review
   

Expand view Topic review: rtext fails to show text.

Re: rtext fails to show text.

Post by robert » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:04 pm

Just to be sure - changing the encoding from View -> Document Properties will have no effect on the display of the currently-loaded editor contents. That only affects in what encoding the file will be saved from then on.

If this file is UTF-8, try this: when selecting the file with the file chooser, click on the file once to select the file, and in the Encoding dropdown, manually select "UTF-8". It's likely the case that this is a UTF-8 file without a BOM, which RText does not detect. Then see if it looks good in an appropriate font.

Re: rtext fails to show text.

Post by sergei » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:26 pm

Hello, Robert

This does not help. When I open the text in UBUNTU, it shows UTF-8 encoding and "syntaxhighlighting" shows "monospaced" font. The text looks good.

Windows opens it as "windows-1251" encoding. I've tried different font: "monospaced", "arial" etc. They all look junk, i.e. instead of letters with "hats" it shows large Cyrillic-like letters.

I should say I also tested JEdit. It has the same problem, so there is something wrong in the way Java talks to the operating system

cheers, Sergei

Re: rtext fails to show text.

Post by robert » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:19 am

The issue is probably the font RText is choosing on Windows does not support Slovak characters. Try changing the font to one you know works for Slovak:

Edit -> Options... -> Syntax Highlighting -> Font

Changing the main "Font" option at the top of this panel will cascade to the fonts for individual token types below.

rtext fails to show text.

Post by sergei » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:38 pm

Sorry, I've relocated my question to here:

Hello,

It was noticed that some text cannot be shown correctly on windows using RText v2.05
I have a text in Slovak language. I can see it well on Ubuntu & RText (the panel option shows UTF-8 encoding). When I switched to Windows,
RText shows some junk. The RText option panel shows "windows-1251" encoding, but even when I switch RText to UTF-8 encoding, nothing happens, it still shows some junk characters

best, Sergei

Top