Glad you like the LaFs! It's been awhile since I looked at them. I actually started working on a newer, VS2010/Office2010 LAF, this time a clean break from the original OfficeLnFs project, but never got very far into it.
Anyway, as to your questions:
1. That issue is actually fixed, but you have to grab the latest from SVN
. Tomorrow I'll find some time to upload a new version onto SourceForge with this fix (thought I had done it earlier). The improvements over 2.7 include the following (maybe more, this is all that's doc'd):
- JCheckBoxMenuItem/JRadioButtonMenuItem offsets wrong in Vista & Windows 7.
- Improved background painting of uneditable JComboBox's selected items in Vista & 7.
- Fix for HTML tags being taken into account when calculating menu item width.
2. I'm assuming this is with the VS2005 LookAndFeel specifically, since it has a custom tabbed pane? Yes, it probably has some hard-coded stuff in it. I can try to take a look.
3. Can you provide a short, self-contained demo application that exhibits the problem? Email or private message is fine if it's too big to post here, but hopefully you can make an example in one relatively short class.
4. I haven't noticed this. Any specific example? Maybe you're putting some component(s) into a toolbar that I usually don't? (I usually stick to buttons).
I'd love to make a nice looking LookAndFeel, but unfortunately I have no artistic talent. I can only copy
In fact, that was a problem (to me) with the OfficeLnFs, the Office applications never really customized any components except for the main window's menu bar and toolbars. This made some of the stuff in them difficult to implement (have to check parent components, etc.). This would be a lot of extra work to do to get all widgets looking like a coherent package across all OS's. The latest Office suite and Visual Studio appear to have more examples of customized components though, and one could create a LookAndFeel that uses their custom components to create a much more complete LAF. I started this awhile back but am nowhere near done with it, and don't work on it too much unfortunately.
[EDIT]: I just uploaded version 3.0 on SourceForge
. It includes the 3 fixes outlined above. I started looking at a fix for #2 above last night, but no promises on when it'll get done.