I’m happy to announce that RText 1.2.0 was just released yesterday!
It’s been a long time coming, almost 6 months since the last release. There are plenty of new goodies this time around that make it worth updating:
- Language support added for C, Java, Perl, PHP, HTML and shell scripting (code completion for all, varying degrees of syntax checking for others). While no Eclipse by any means, even the simplest of code completion support takes RText to another level of usability. This is one area that will definitely be expanded moving forward. Note that the focus is not on code project management, but simply on being able to provide code completion to speed up editing code.
- A huge number of usability improvements to the editor component.
- Format HTML and XML code with new JTidy integration. Formatting options are configurable in the Options dialog.
- Added ActionScript syntax highlighting.
- Added a new option to ignore the extensions “.bak”, “.old” and “.orig” when opening files and determining their type. This comes in very handy when you’re constantly making backups for some reason, like I do.
- “Experimental” translucent search window (Find, Replace) support if you’re running Java 6u10 or newer. Note that in my testing, the translucency support in the JVM only seems to be reliable starting around 6u16 or so. This is just a visual gag to make RText seem cooler, but it’s fun nonetheless, and it does have a practical use – make the dialogs translucent when overlapping the main editor window, so you can see any code they overlap. When and just-how translucent they are is configurable in the Options dialog.
- Greatly improved “File System Tree” plugin, allowing you drill down into directories, create new files and folders, etc. This should have happened a long time ago. In the next release you should be able to copy, rename and delete files from the tree as well.
- Improved performance of file chooser when browsing NFS paths on Windows.
- Tons of minor usability improvements.
Upgrade today and see what you think!